
So a lot has happened since I last posted. Let's start with the positive. Holly rolled over (back to front) on Wednesday when she was with the nanny. The nanny said she was on her tummy for about 3 minutes stroking the mat before she realized, "Hey! Wait a minute! I don't LIKE being on my tummy!" She fussed and the nanny turned her back over. Go Holly!!!
Now for the un-fun parts. Last Sunday, Holly woke up at 6am with a temperature of 101.3 (yes- that's rectal). We called the after-hours-care line and they said not to treat it until it hit 102. At 10:30am her temperature hit 102.6. So we called back and they said it was probably just a virus. Give her Tylenol. We did and kept her doped (every 4-6 hours). She had no other symptoms. She wasn't really that fussy- just out of it. Her breathing was faster than usual- but not labored. And she was eating- but she did so weakly and would often fall asleep after about 5 minutes instead of going at it strong for 10-20. At 6pm, it hit 104.2 so we called back (yes- in a panic), they called the pediatrician on call and they told us to take her to the ER. I don't even want to get into how I was feeling at this point, but I bet you can guess. The ER took us in quick and ran a few tests. They looked in her ears, gave her chest x-rays and collected urine using a catheter. The diagnosis was eventually that she had a urinary tract infection. The treatment is antibiotics- since this is bacterial- and we followed up Monday at our pediatrician's office.
Holly's fever continued to go up and down all day Monday. She slept and ate most of the day off and on. Her fever is gone now and she's almost back to normal. She's not elated to have pink stuff shoved down her throat twice per day, but we do a lot of singing to help her like it a bit more. The photo above is her on Wednesday after a day at the nanny's. She fell asleep on the way home and I let her snooze in the car seat until she woke up on her own.
Our doctor is concerned about her having a UTI so young. It's not totally unheard of in baby girls, but in some cases this can be a sign of a more serious problem that could put her kidneys in danger (thinking of you- Aunt Cathy!) so they will be putting her through some more tests once she's well. Here's hoping it was a one time thing.
Tom and I are doing ok. We haven't slept much these last few days and Tom might actually be looking something close to his age. I have a terrible cold. I know I'm not the only one out there who has ever had a sick baby but regardless--- can I just say how much it sucked? I should note that Holly smiled and charmed everyone she met through almost this whole process. I can't say she was smiling when they put in that catheter, mind you, but an hour later she grinned at the resident as he came in to tell us the results of the urinalysis. Some nurses stopped in because they had heard about the beautiful baby and wanted to see her.
Just reading this now. I'm so glad that Holly is okay. What a scary process for you and Tom!! I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through it. Would love to catch up soon! xo
ReplyDelete