Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Little big girl

It's back to school season --- in case you somehow missed this fact. The papers are full of back to school savings and Facebook is full of First Day of School photos. Here's one more:


Holly's now 3 years and 10 months old and we decided to start her in pre-school three mornings per week. We struggled with adding this mix to our budget and already scary schedule but we really felt like Holly herself was very ready for this new challenge so we made it work. She seems to get very frustrated with wanting to learn her letters, write her own name, understand how things work, do art projects, play music, climb higher, do more. She wants SO bad to be a "big girl". We opted for an Reggio Emilia based school. We really liked the idea of a self-guided curriculum based on the interests of the kids. We also liked how they weren't too pushy. Of course I want Holly to do well in school and in life, but...umm... she's THREE. It is not my goal to push her so I can have someone to brag on, but to support her in what she wants to do. Anyhow. Her first day was Tuesday and she had a great day. Did I cry seeing my little one in a backpack with a lunch box? Of course! She was a little nervous, but she did really well and most importantly she had a great time.

A lot has been happening in our lives, of course, so I just haven't had time to post. Penny is now 10 months old and crawling all over the house. Holly has taught her how to clap, wave goodbye and feed the dog her dinner. Only in the last few weeks have the two of them started playing together and it's still a bit dicey. Holly can get pretty upset when Penny tries to grab her beloved Pingu to chew on and Penny can get pretty sad when Holly takes away the toy she's playing with because she's not "doing it right". I have high hopes for the future but three years is a pretty big age difference right now. I really think all in all that Holly is an amazing big sister. This week we decided to move Penny's bedtime back to help with night wakings and we gave Holly the option of either taking a bath after Penny by herself and going to bed at her usual time, or taking a bath earlier with Penny and going to bed earlier. She opted to take a bath with her sister and go to bed early. For a kid who still hates going to bed, that says a lot about how she feels about spending that time with her sister.


What else? I have no idea where to even start! We work, we play, we dance, we run, we clean. It's a normal life for us. We had a GREAT time at the beach with many cousins, aunts, uncles and their grandmother. We also had some awesome family photos taken.
 

I will try to post more often than every 6 months but every day of our lives is pretty much a sprint. I don't think we're alone there in terms of parents of little ones. But I will say that on my list that blog posting falls after sleeping, eating and getting regular exercise. If you're not getting posts it's likely because I'm not getting through that list..

No comments:

Post a Comment